By Tom Lansford
Covering wars and conflicts of Afghanistan from the trendy founding of the rustic within the 1700s to the modern fight with the Taliban, this single-volume reference analyzes the reasons and result of Afghanistan's wars and examines prime political and armed forces figures, guns, and tactics.
• offers readers with a radical historical past at the wars of Afghanistan that enables them to appreciate the effect of previous conflicts on present strife
• allows a extra entire appreciation of the ethnic and spiritual complexities that gasoline the continuing clash in Afghanistan
• Examines how earlier Afghan conflicts contributed to the increase of terrorism and figures equivalent to Osama bin Laden
• provides an obtainable clarification of the "Great video game" for strength and impression via imperial Russia and nice Britain within the 1800s and the impression of this contest on Afghanistan
Read or Download Afghanistan at War: From the 18th-Century Durrani Dynasty to the 21st Century PDF
Best middle eastern history books
Hamid Naficy is among the world’s top gurus on Iranian movie, and A Social background of Iranian Cinema is his magnum opus. overlaying the past due 19th century to the early twenty-first and addressing documentaries, renowned genres, and artwork movies, it explains Iran’s odd cinematic creation modes, in addition to the position of cinema and media in shaping modernity and a latest nationwide id in Iran.
From the overdue 19th century onward, women and men in the course of the heart East mentioned, debated, and negotiated the jobs of younger women and girls in generating smooth international locations. In Palestine, ladies' schooling used to be pivotal to discussions approximately motherhood. Their schooling used to be visible as having the aptitude to remodel the family members in order that it will probably meet either smooth and nationalist expectancies.
The Fayoum, a wide and enormously fertile melancholy in Egypt’s Western barren region, a few ninety kilometers southwest of Cairo, is a area either wealthy in historical past and striking in average attractiveness. Its ancient legacy contains temples, pyramids, and cities from the center nation and the Ptolemaic interval, in addition to church buildings, monasteries, and mosques from later instances.
The Saudi nation offers a candid and insightful research of Saudi Arabia’s political instability in gentle of the mounting family and foreign demanding situations dealing with the rustic at the present time. at once addressing Saudi Arabia’s inert monarchical ruling process, its foundational alliance with the Wahhabi institution, and its more and more risky setting populated with a various set of enemies, Ali al Shihabi, an insider of the ruling circles and a political analyst, appears to be like on the clients for the survival of this opaque monarchy and indicates principles for reform that can support it larger face up to the turbulent winds of swap.
- The Turks: The Central Asian Civilization That Bridged the East and The West for Over Two Millennia (Turkish History Book 1)
- Ending Empire in the Middle East: Britain, the United States and Post-war Decolonization, 1945-1973 (Routledge Studies in Middle Eastern History)
- Civil Society and Women Activists in the Middle East: Islamic and Secular Organizations in Egypt (Library of Modern Middle East Studies)
- Reading the Middle Ages, Volume II: Sources from Europe, Byzantium, and the Islamic World, c.900 to c.1500, Second Edition: 2
Extra resources for Afghanistan at War: From the 18th-Century Durrani Dynasty to the 21st Century
Afghanistan at War: From the 18th-Century Durrani Dynasty to the 21st Century by Tom Lansford